On March 13,2020, a national emergency was declared due to the COVID-19 outbreak. In response, the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act was signed into law on March 27,2020. Among other provisions, the CARES Act established the Higher Education Emergency Relief Fund ("HEERF"). On May 20, 2020, Luckes Beauty Academy signed and submitted to the United States Department of Education ("Department") the Funding Certification and Agreement for Emergency Financial Aid Grants to Students, required of all institutions participating in the HEERF.
As required by the CARES Act, the Academy will make available no less than fifty percent of the HEERF funds that it receives to provide Emergency Financial Aid Grants to eligible students to assist with covering expenses incurred after March 13,2020 that are related to the disruptions of campus operations due to COVID-19. Under the CARES Act, eligible students may receive HEERF Emergency Financial Grants ("HEERF Grants") to cover such expenses such as, for example, food housing, course materials, technology, health care, child care, and other expenses that are related to campus disruptions due to COVID-19 ("Eligible Expenses").
In order to be eligible, recipients must meet certain criteria established by the US Department of Education. The following conditions apply:
- Enrollment as of March 13,2020 in an academic program which was both approved to participate in Title IV federal student aid programs and not offered exclusively in an online format.
- Submission to the Academy of a processed 2019-2020 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) form and
- Satisfaction of all student eligibility requirements under Section 484 in Title IV of the Higher Education Act of 1965 on or before May 29,2020, to include maintaining satisfactory progress in the course of study. The institution is making the below information available to be compliant with the U.S. Department of Education's ("Department") Electronic Announcement of May 6, 2020.
- The total amount of funds that the institution has received from the Department pusuant to the Institution's Certification and Agreement for Emergency Financial Aid Grants to Students is $22,630.00
- The total amount of emergency financial aid grants distributed to students under Section 18004(a)(1) of the CARES Act as of the date of this Fund report is $22,630.00. All funds have not yet been distributed in order to give all students who were enrolled as of March 13, 2020 the opportunity to qualify for the grant.
- As of June 1, 2020, the Academy identified those students who were eligible for HEERF grants and they were notified of the process to receive emergency grants via their Google Classroom email account.
Award amounts range from $837.00 to $1000.00